Monday, July 25, 2011

Just Get Off Your Phone for a Few Minutes!

At Avery's camp, there are 2 ways you can pick up your child...carpool line or go to the front door and pick them up.  Today, I was waiting in the carpool line to pick her up and I saw a Mom get out of her car while on her cell phone and wait by the front door until her kid was brought out by the teacher. 

Now, to myself, I'm thinking, surely she'll finish her call before her kid comes out because by the way her body posture is and how relaxed she looks, it doesn't appear she is on a call that is an emergency.  Obviously, I don't know who she was talking to or what the topic was, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this was not a phone call that she couldn't stop for a few minutes while picking her kid up. 

So, the teacher brings the kid out to her and she grabs his hand with a quick smile, no hello, no hug and walks them to their car while her cell phone is glued to her ear...seriously!!  I'll be honest, I talk on the phone at the house, in the car, when we're out, when the kids are with me but when I'm picking up Avery from school, dance, someones house, etc, I make it a point to be sure I'm off the phone so I can actually greet her.  Another limb here, but I'm pretty sure from seeing the way the other kids look at their moms or dads with giant smiles on their faces, so excited to see them as Avery is me, though they've been having a great time at school or wherever she's been, they get to see the most important person in their lives (right now at least :))  and this mom is talking away on her phone!!  It made me so mad!! 

We expect our kids to be polite and have manners and we should be giving them the respect they deserve when it's their turn.  I am soooooooooo not perfect, but there are just some things that really make me mad and all I really wanted to do was get out of my car and rip the phone out of her hand and tell her to say hello to her kid!  Whew, I don't know where that came from, but I just had to get that off my chest!  Happy Monday :)

1 comment:

coco said...

oh girl, i hear ya! there is a mom in ben's class, whom walked in the class during nap ON HER PHONE, woke up her child, got his things and left, never hanging up. i wanted to punch her. annoying.