Thursday, November 11, 2010

Constantly Amazed by this Cutie!



Avery never fails to amaze and impress me! Kids are the most resilient creatures I tell you!

For those of you who don't know, thanks to Tim and Poppy - you sweet men!, Avery had 2 extra teeth in her mouth. 1 was a baby tooth and the other was a tooth hiding in the roof of her mouth impeding her permanent tooth from coming in. The dentist sent us to an oral surgeon who told us that it would be best if we took them out a.k.a. extracted them sooner than later so that her permanent teeth could hopefully come in correctly.

This morning Avery had those teeth removed. They took her back to the operating room in the office by herself after Tim and I got hugs and kisses. Then they administered an IV in her little arm and put her under. I was so upset that I couldn't go with her to hold her hand, but it's a sterile envt they told me...I didn't care that's my little girl!! They came in and told us that she was a champ and didn't even cry when they put the IV in. Then they came in about 15 minutes later and said it was all done and took us back to her. I was so excited when they told us that they did not have to take any other teeth out to get the one in the roof of her mouth out.

They did tell us that they had the baby tooth intact but the hidden one came out in 3 pieces and did we still want that one? And I asked her why we would want it and she said that parents liked to keep them. Tim and I told her we did NOT want the teeth but thanks for asking! Don't worry, we were super nice to the nurses and surgeon of course, but why would I want these teeth...I don't consider them her baby teeth that I want as a keepsake - they shouldn't have even been there in the 1st place!! Sorry, I'm a little bitter about the whole thing :(

Anyways, we took her to get milkshakes, 2 of them, 1 chocolate and 1 strawberry, as well as a big cup of vanilla yogurt and then came home - lucky girl! Apparently, she didn't care so much for the strawberry one because it had seeds so I gladly took my share :)

Honestly, you would not have known that anything had been done to her the way she has been acting since we've been home. Besides not being able to drink with a straw or eat hard/crunchy things for a week (which I'm sure will be challenging at times) she has been playing like nothing happened and eating well too. Kids are just so resilient and it's so wonderful how these things don't affect them like they do in adults.

She just amazes me!!! I've fretted about this for weeks since we've found out and to know that it is over and she is doing great makes me so happy! Make sure you give your loved ones a hug and kiss and let them know how much they mean to you today!

No comments: